Portfolio • 2023
>>> Above you can find the artistic portfolio, below you can find th editorial illustration portfolio...
Portfolio – Editorial Illustrations & Cartoons
The portfolio below focusses on Lawrence Grimm's works for magazines and institutions. Go to Contact for collaboration requests.
Lawrence Grimm is an illustrator, cartoonist and storyteller of whimsical worlds. He was born in Zurich, Switzerland on July 13, 1978 and is of Australian, German and Swiss nationality. He speaks both English and German. He studied film and was finalist for the Student Academy Awards before becoming a cartoonist.
It's absolutely fabulous to scribble worlds of big emotions and tiny happenstances with a single pen (well, several pens of different thickness).
The Critical Thinker Cartoons | Series for the magazine 42 & the website – Critical Thinking ETH Zurich
Illustration | Strapazin
Editorial Illustration | Republik
- illustrated for Republik
online magazine for politics, economics & society
Momentum Cartoons | Cartoon Series for the Filmbulletin Magazine
- Illustrated for
Filmbulletin – Zeitschrift für Film und Kino
- Cartoons about motion and emotion on the first content page of the movie magazine in its 8 issues of 2018. Mostly the illustrations refer to a main theme of the magazine, like "screenwriting" (cartoon: Writing Process) or "video" (cartoon: The last Video Store).
- Background color by Bonbon, matching the magazine style
Scent Festival | Brochure Illustration
Scent Festival | Brochure Illustration
Unterwegs im Land der Phantasie | book illustration
Storytelling | Various Artforms
Lawrence Grimm is a skilled storyteller. Rather than a single artform, the "essence of narration" is at the center of his work and expands from there. His specialities contain:
- script doctor for screenplays and texts
- Visual narration: illustration, cartoons
- Webdesign, website storytelling, e.g. this website
- diploma degree in film – writing, directing, editing
- teaching dramaturgy/directing actors/film worlds
- 20+ awards/nominations for shortfilms directed / (co-)written by Lawrence Grimm
- finalist Student Academy Awards "Student Oscars"
- Storytelling + business: pitching / experience as Marketing & Media Designer
Insight: Teatime for a Universe
License / Publish / Exhibit / Fund
- Lawrence Grimm licences his cartoons for certain websites and publications.
- See an example for website licensing here.
- Contact Lawrence Grimm for inquiries, also for reselling originals, supporting his cartoon quest and more.
- For exhibiting framed originals in the big wide world, view the example photos.
Curriculum Vitae | Lawrence Grimm
Born July 13, 1978 in Zurich, Switzerland
Résumé in reverse chronological order
- Present | lives, works & scribbles in Zurich
Teatime for a Universe, a cartoon collection
by Lawrence Grimm
- 12.2017 – today | Publishing Director
Strapazin Comic Magazine
- 2019 | Double page "Züri brännt!"
Strapazin No. 137
- 2019 (and 2018) | editorial illustrations
Republik online magazine
- 2019 | Kunststipendien der Stadt Zürich
group exhibition, Helmhaus Zürich
audience vote: one of 3 "Favorites of the Hearts"
- 2019 | Teatime for a Universe – Microchaos
sam scherrer contemporary, Zurich
- 2019 | Story Worlds – cartoon and comic workshop for children youths
Bildschule Aargau, Schule für Gastaltung Aargau
- 2018 – today | The Critical Thinker Cartoons
Critical Thinking ETH Zurich magazine 42 and web
- 2018 | Momentum Cartoons: motion & emotion
Filmbulletin (in 8 yearly issues)
- 1. – 3.2018 (occurs yearly) | Teacher Focus Film (3 theory inputs, project support)
"Art Foundation Course" of the Lucerne School of Art and Design
- Co-Organising political cartoons against the end of public TV/radio (No Billag, 2018)
- 2017 | exhibition in the gallery sam scherrer contemporary
- 2017 | Cartoon Kaleidoscope on a new website
- 2016 – today | Mini Creatures
Part 1 (2018: part 2), also on Instagram
- 2016 | 5 day workshop CTI Entrepreneurship: Business Creation
HSLU – Lucerne School of Business
- 2015 – 16 | Inputs on pricing, self-marketing, social media, e-learning/Twitter
- 2014 | Sketches for a novel
- 2012 | Unterwegs im Land der Phantasie
(On the Way in Phantasy Land) illustrations for a book about the Metzenthin Children’s and Youth Theatre by Rosmarie Metzenthin and various contributors, published by Bachmann München
- 2012 – 2017 | Artistic Assistant
"Art Foundation Course" of the Lucerne School of Art and Design | Partially also web editor for the research department
- 2011 – 2012 | kooaba Image Recognition
Marketing and Media Designer
- 2008 – 2014 | Exhibitions
- 2006/07 | Internship (6 months, part-time)
ARF/FDS Verband Filmregie und Drehbuch Schweiz
- 2005 – 2008 | board member of Zürich für den Film, film-political activities
- 2005 | 3-month writing-scholarship in Berlin from the Canton of Zurich, Fachstelle Kultur
- 2004 | Student Academy Award finalist
(foreign competition) for the diploma film
Pas de deux
- 2003 ongoing | Teatime for a Universe
the beginning of the cartoon project
- 2003 – 2010 | Writing stories
Working on screenplays for short and feature films
- 2003 | Graduation
as film director/-writer of the Zurich University of the Arts (ZHdK)
- 1999 – 2003 | Student
of the film-department of the Zurich University of the Arts; main subjects: writing, directing, editing; various award winning short films
- 1998 – 1999 | Art Foundation Course
at the Zurich University of the Arts
- 1994 | Leading role in a feature film
Shrouded in Mystery / Der Nebelläufer
- 1978 – 1998 | Growing up
in the Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
- July 13, 1978 | Date of birth